Muráviev-Apóstol-KoróbyinArchivo familiar
Menú

← Volver

Saint Joasaph (Joachim) Andreevich Gorlenko

Saint Joasaph (Joseph) of Belgorod

ST. JOSAF THE DIVINE PROTECTOR OF THE BELGOROD LAND

Canonization and the 1911 Celebration

In 1883 the Holy Trinity Cathedral in Belgorod was transferred into a monastery cathedral. Despite the fact Belgorod was no more a eparchial town the stream of pilgrims did not diminish. People continued to go to the sanctified coffin.

Several times the eparchial authorities at local people’s request applied for canonization of Bishop Joseph. And at last, in 1910 Emperor Nicholas II proposed the Holy Synod to canonize Bishop Joseph. And the Synod supported this proposition and canonized Bishop Joseph. The day of September,4,1911 was set the day of celebration of the incorruptible hallows of Saint Joseph.

Sacred procession in Belgorod on September 4, 1911
(contemporary photos)

This memorable day became one of the most important events in the history of Belgorod. Very many people from very different places of Russia from the Western border to the Far East came to Belgorod. The whole number of people that took part in this celebration was more than 200 thousand. Very many state persons visited Belgorod for the celebration and three months after Emperor Nickolay II with his family visited Belgorod too.

After this celebration more and more people came to Belgorod from any places of Russia. Now the hallows were inside the cathedral in a special shrine made of silver.

The Hallows Returned to Belgorod

After the October revolution the shrine was opened and the hallows of St. Joseph were taken out from Belgorod. For many years the whereabouts of the hallows was unknown. And only 70 years after they were found in the Museum of Religion and Atheism in Leningrad.

After identification the hallows were returned to Belgorod and placed in the Cathedral of Transfiguration of Our Lord (Preobrazhensky).

On September,16,1991 the incorruptible hallows of St. Joseph were solemnly transferred to The Cathedral of Transfiguration of Our Lord. Patriarch of Moscow and Whole Russia Alexy II took part in this ceremony. It was the second appropriation of St. Joseph hallows. He came back to Belgorod and sanctified it with his presence again.

A Sunday school attached to the Cathedral of Transfiguration works in Belgorod from 1991. In this school the pupils study Bible chairs, the church regulations, make pilgrim travels and take part in church holidays.

In 1992 in the Cathedral of Transfiguration the Orthodox Community of St. Joseph was founded. The members of this community are people of very different professions: engineers, teachers, architects, workers and others do the job for moral and spiritual education of people, restoring churches and organizing charitable actions.

EnglishEspañolРусскийFrançais