{"id":106,"date":"2026-08-18T12:10:50","date_gmt":"2026-08-18T12:10:50","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/collections\/memorials\/"},"modified":"2026-08-26T11:55:15","modified_gmt":"2026-08-26T11:55:15","slug":"memorials","status":"publish","type":"page","link":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/en\/collections\/memorials\/","title":{"rendered":"memorials"},"content":{"rendered":"\n<h2 class=\"wp-block-heading\">Velyki Sorochyntsi Church<\/h2>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In 1732 Danylo Apostol built a church near Homutetz where his remains were interred beneath the nave of the church. The church, called the Church of the Transfiguration, remains intact after nearly 300 years.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-gallery has-nested-images columns-default wp-block-gallery-1 is-layout-flex wp-block-gallery-is-layout-flex\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"450\" height=\"314\" data-id=\"678\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/P46_3-1.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-678\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/P46_3-1.jpg 450w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/P46_3-1-300x209.jpg 300w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 450px) 100vw, 450px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"768\" height=\"1024\" data-id=\"679\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_1010-1-768x1024.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-679\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_1010-1-768x1024.jpg 768w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_1010-1-225x300.jpg 225w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_1010-1-1152x1536.jpg 1152w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_1010-1-1536x2048.jpg 1536w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_1010-1-scaled.jpg 1920w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 768px) 100vw, 768px\" \/><\/figure>\n<\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-gallery has-nested-images columns-default is-cropped wp-block-gallery-2 is-layout-flex wp-block-gallery-is-layout-flex\"><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h2 class=\"wp-block-heading\">Popova-Sloboda Cathedral and Buryn Memorial<\/h2>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In 1913, Vladimir Mouravieff-Apostol-Korobyine and his wife Nadezhda built a cathedral in Popova-Sloboda to honor 300 years of the Romanov dynasty ruling Russia. The Bolsheviks destroyed it in 1929 and used the bricks for buildings elsewhere. Many other religious structures met the same fate. Only the guard house remained unscathed and became the village post office. After it was closed, the town presented the keys of the building to Nicholas Mouravieff-Apostol-Korobyine in 2012 on the occasion of its 100 years of standing in the center of the village.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/mak-archive\/images\/current\/buryn_memorial_to_churches.w918-h1959-c459_980.jpg\" alt=\"Buryn memorial to destroyed churches\"\/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">In 2016, Nicholas Mouravieff-Apostol-Korobyine and his wife Jeannette built a memorial in the town of Buryn, Sumy Oblast, to honor each of those destroyed churches and cathedrals. Each destroyed church has a plaque and a piece of its original structure on the face of the memorial.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img decoding=\"async\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/mak-archive\/images\/current\/burynchurchmemorialplaque.jpg\" alt=\"Plaque on the Buryn memorial\"\/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The Mayor of Buryn presents Nicholas Mouravieff-Apostol-Korobyine with a Certificate of Appreciation for building the Monument<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1024\" height=\"683\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0251-1024x683.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-726\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0251-1024x683.jpg 1024w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0251-300x200.jpg 300w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0251-768x512.jpg 768w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0251-1536x1024.jpg 1536w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0251-2048x1365.jpg 2048w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h2 class=\"wp-block-heading\">M-A Brick<\/h2>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The Apostol Palace in Homutetz was originally built in the early 1700s using standard methods involving clay, logs and wood. In the early 1800s Ivan Mouravieff-Apostol expanded the Palace with two wings extending from the central building. The design emulated Parisian architecture, reflecting the French influence on Ivan.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">These wings were built using bricks produced in the estate&#8217;s own brick factory and stamped with the initials \u201cMA\u201d. The bricks were also used for other buildings on the site, and the factory was eventually closed when Ivan left for San Remo. The bricks were much larger than today&#8217;s standard bricks, being approximately 10 inches long, 3 inches thick and 4 inches wide. The clay used for their manufacture came from the estate&#8217;s own land.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image aligncenter\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"2560\" height=\"1718\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/ma-brick-scaled.jpeg\" alt=\"M-A brick from the Homutetz estate\" class=\"wp-image-638\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/ma-brick-scaled.jpeg 2560w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/ma-brick-300x201.jpeg 300w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/ma-brick-1024x687.jpeg 1024w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/ma-brick-768x515.jpeg 768w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/ma-brick-1536x1031.jpeg 1536w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/ma-brick-2048x1374.jpeg 2048w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 2560px) 100vw, 2560px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The Tereshchenkos also had a brick factory at Chervone, and each brick bore the initial \u201cT\u201d. Some bricks are known bearing the Cyrillic letter \u201cF\u201d, presumably for Fedor.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-gallery has-nested-images columns-default is-cropped wp-block-gallery-3 is-layout-flex wp-block-gallery-is-layout-flex\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1024\" height=\"683\" data-id=\"768\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0276-1-1024x683.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-768\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0276-1-1024x683.jpg 1024w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0276-1-300x200.jpg 300w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0276-1-768x512.jpg 768w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0276-1-1536x1024.jpg 1536w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0276-1-2048x1365.jpg 2048w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px\" \/><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1024\" height=\"683\" data-id=\"765\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0179-1-1024x683.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-765\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0179-1-1024x683.jpg 1024w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0179-1-300x200.jpg 300w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0179-1-768x512.jpg 768w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0179-1-1536x1024.jpg 1536w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/IMG_0179-1-2048x1365.jpg 2048w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px\" \/><\/figure>\n<\/figure>\n\n\n\n<h2 class=\"wp-block-heading\">Homutetz Memorial Cross<\/h2>\n\n\n\n<div class=\"wp-block-media-text is-stacked-on-mobile is-vertically-aligned-top\" style=\"grid-template-columns:35% auto\"><figure class=\"wp-block-media-text__media\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"244\" height=\"325\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Screenshot-2026-08-24-063221.png\" alt=\"Homutetz Memorial Cross\" class=\"wp-image-690 size-full\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Screenshot-2026-08-24-063221.png 244w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/Screenshot-2026-08-24-063221-225x300.png 225w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 244px) 100vw, 244px\" \/><\/figure><div class=\"wp-block-media-text__content\">\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><strong>\u0412 \u0417\u041d\u0410\u041a \u041f\u041e\u041a\u0410\u042f\u041d\u0418\u042f<\/strong><br><strong>\u201cAs a sign of repentance.\u201d<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The main inscription reads:<\/p>\n\n\n\n<blockquote class=\"wp-block-quote is-layout-flow wp-block-quote-is-layout-flow\">\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><strong>\u0412\u0435\u0447\u043d\u0430\u044f \u043f\u0430\u043c\u044f\u0442\u044c \u0438 \u0432\u0435\u0447\u043d\u044b\u0439 \u043f\u043e\u043a\u043e\u0439<br>\u0432\u0441\u0435\u043c \u043e\u0442 \u0432\u0435\u043a\u0430 \u0443\u0441\u043e\u043f\u0448\u0438\u043c<br>\u0438 \u043f\u043e\u0433\u0440\u0435\u0431\u0435\u043d\u043d\u044b\u043c \u0432 \u0432\u0435\u0441\u0438 \u0441\u0435\u0439<br>\u043f\u0440\u0430\u0432\u043e\u0441\u043b\u0430\u0432\u043d\u044b\u043c \u0445\u0440\u0438\u0441\u0442\u0438\u0430\u043d\u0430\u043c.<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><strong>\u0421\u0435\u0439 \u043f\u043e\u043a\u043b\u043e\u043d\u043d\u044b\u0439 \u043a\u0440\u0435\u0441\u0442,<br>\u0437\u043d\u0430\u043a \u0432\u0435\u0447\u043d\u043e\u0439 \u043f\u043e\u0431\u0435\u0434\u044b \u0436\u0438\u0437\u043d\u0438 \u043d\u0430\u0434 \u0441\u043c\u0435\u0440\u0442\u044c\u044e,<br>\u0432\u043e\u0437\u0434\u0432\u0438\u0433\u043d\u0443\u0442 6 \u0441\u0435\u043d\u0442\u044f\u0431\u0440\u044f 2015 \u0433\u043e\u0434\u0430 \u0438 \u043e\u0441\u0432\u044f\u0449\u0435\u043d<br>\u0412\u044b\u0441\u043e\u043a\u043e\u043f\u0440\u0435\u043e\u0441\u0432\u044f\u0449\u0435\u043d\u043d\u0435\u0439\u0448\u0438\u043c \u041c\u0438\u0442\u0440\u043e\u043f\u043e\u043b\u0438\u0442\u043e\u043c<br>\u041f\u043e\u043b\u0442\u0430\u0432\u0441\u043a\u0438\u043c \u0438 \u041c\u0438\u0440\u0433\u043e\u0440\u043e\u0434\u0441\u043a\u0438\u043c \u0424\u0438\u043b\u0438\u043f\u043f\u043e\u043c.<\/strong><\/p>\n<\/blockquote>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">A natural English translation is:<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><strong>\u201cEternal memory and eternal rest to all Orthodox Christians who have departed through the ages and are buried in this village.<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><strong>This devotional cross, a symbol of the eternal victory of life over death, was erected on September 6, 2015, and consecrated by His Eminence Philip, Metropolitan of Poltava and Myrhorod.\u201d<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The inscription across the horizontal arm of the large cross reads:<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><strong>\u0413\u041e\u0421\u041f\u041e\u0414\u0418, \u0421\u041f\u0410\u0421\u0418 \u0418 \u0421\u041e\u0425\u0420\u0410\u041d\u0418 \u0412\u0415\u0421\u042c \u0421\u0418\u042e<\/strong><\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">Meaning: <strong>\u201cLord, save and preserve this village.\u201d<\/strong><\/p>\n<\/div><\/div>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\">The memorial cross stands at Homutetz near the main palace building, approximately 500 yards from the small church.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-large-font-size wp-block-paragraph\">Tombs of the Tereshchenko family<\/p>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"has-medium-font-size wp-block-paragraph\">The Tombs of the Tereshchenko family are located in the Three Anastasias Cathedral in Hlukhiv, Sumy Oblast, Ukraine. The cathedral was built by the Tereshchenko family in the late 19th century and consecrated in 1893 and the crypt was installed in the lower floor under the main altar. The cathedral was nominated as one of the Seven Wonders of the Ukraine and features a magnificent white marble iconostasis of neo-Russian\/Byzantine design. The iconostasis is a wall that separates the altar from the nave or main area of the church. It typically has numerous icons and paintings displayed on it reflecting the life of Christ and his Apostles.<\/p>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-gallery has-nested-images columns-default is-cropped wp-block-gallery-4 is-layout-flex wp-block-gallery-is-layout-flex\">\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"685\" height=\"1024\" data-id=\"709\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/artemon-grave-685x1024.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-709\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/artemon-grave-685x1024.jpg 685w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/artemon-grave-201x300.jpg 201w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/artemon-grave-768x1148.jpg 768w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/artemon-grave-1028x1536.jpg 1028w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/artemon-grave-1370x2048.jpg 1370w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/artemon-grave-scaled.jpg 1713w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 685px) 100vw, 685px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Artemon Tereshchenko<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"511\" height=\"780\" data-id=\"780\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/NIKOLATOMBSTONE-edited.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-780\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/NIKOLATOMBSTONE-edited.jpg 511w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/NIKOLATOMBSTONE-edited-197x300.jpg 197w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 511px) 100vw, 511px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Nicola Tereshchenko<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"559\" height=\"769\" data-id=\"718\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/FEDORATOMBSTONE.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-718\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/FEDORATOMBSTONE.jpg 559w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/FEDORATOMBSTONE-218x300.jpg 218w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 559px) 100vw, 559px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">Fedor Tereshchenko<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n\n\n\n<figure class=\"wp-block-image size-large\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" width=\"1024\" height=\"669\" data-id=\"677\" src=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/tereschenko-graves-1-1024x669.jpg\" alt=\"\" class=\"wp-image-677\" srcset=\"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/tereschenko-graves-1-1024x669.jpg 1024w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/tereschenko-graves-1-300x196.jpg 300w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/tereschenko-graves-1-768x502.jpg 768w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/tereschenko-graves-1-1536x1004.jpg 1536w, https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/wp-content\/uploads\/2026\/08\/tereschenko-graves-1-2048x1339.jpg 2048w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px\" \/><figcaption class=\"wp-element-caption\">The Crypt with Tereshchenko tombs<\/figcaption><\/figure>\n<\/figure>\n\n\n\n<p class=\"wp-block-paragraph\"><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>Velyki Sorochyntsi Church In 1732 Danylo Apostol built a church near Homutetz where his remains were interred beneath the nave of the church. The church, called the Church of the Transfiguration, remains intact after nearly 300 years. Popova-Sloboda Cathedral and Buryn Memorial In 1913, Vladimir Mouravieff-Apostol-Korobyine and his wife Nadezhda built a cathedral in Popova-Sloboda [&hellip;]<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":3,"featured_media":0,"parent":17,"menu_order":0,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"closed","template":"","meta":{"footnotes":""},"class_list":["post-106","page","type-page","status-publish","hentry"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/106","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/page"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/3"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=106"}],"version-history":[{"count":20,"href":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/106\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":781,"href":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/106\/revisions\/781"}],"up":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/pages\/17"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/m-a-k.net\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=106"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}